George Mason University > University Catalog > Introduction > Academic Policies

Skip Navigation
George Mason University
2002-03 University Catalog

Undergraduate Academic Policies

Student Academic Affairs and Advising

Student Union Building I, Room 304, MS 2E6
Phone: (703) 993-2470
Fax: (703) 993-2478

Admitted students who have not yet decided on a major or who are considering a change of major, as well as students with other academic issues, are advised by Student Academic Affairs and Advising.

Students are encouraged to make an appointment for information about general education requirements, programs, policies, procedures, and other academic concerns. Student Academic Affairs and Advising also provides information and guidance for students who are interested in pre-professional programs in the health fields.

Advising is available by appointment Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. until 5 p.m., and Tuesday until 8 p.m., when classes are in session.

Advising upon Entrance into the Upper Division (Junior Standing)

Upon entrance into the upper division, every student should meet with an advisor to adopt a program of study. This meeting should include:

  • A review of the requirements for the degree and major the student has chosen

  • A review of the student's record including any deficiencies, which must be made up

  • A discussion of the career and/or graduate study options open to the student enrolled in such a program

  • An opportunity for departmental faculty to evaluate the student's suitability to major in the chosen discipline

This advising session occurs in the semester in which the student will have completed 60 or more acceptable credits. The results are a matter of record, with any approved modifications being entered into the student's computerized degree plan.

Although an upper-division student who has filed an approved program of study is normally not required to consult again with an academic advisor, it remains the student's responsibility to seek approval for any change to the program, so that the computerized degree plan may be kept up to date. In particular, once a student has completed 60 credits, a change of major requires an extended session with an advisor in the new major, and approval of a new program of study before the change is complete.

A student in lower-division status may change majors by filing a Change/Declaration of Academic Program form with the registrar. These are minimal advising procedures to be followed in all undergraduate segments of the university; individual units may require additional advising sessions.