Independent Study Abroad

You can't find a Study Abroad program that excites you? Once you have explored the various programs offered by Mason Study Abroad you may find that you have an academic need that is not met by our programming. This does not mean that you cannot study abroad! Mason will allow active, degree-seeking students to participate in any accredited program and earn transfer credits toward their degree.


Step 1:
Choose your Study Abroad Program
  • Select an *accredited* host institution. Mason Study Abroad provides a resource library in the office (see Resources below to find the program that best works for you).
  • When searching for a study abroad program, it is best to look at the courses offered to determine if the institution provides enough courses to satisfy the needs of your degree.
Step 2:
Attend a Group Advising workshop or meet with Independent Study Abroad Program Officer
Step 3:
Consult with necessary Mason Departments
  • Academic Advisor: Determine if the courses available at your desired study abroad program will apply to your degree plan.
  • Financial Aid Advisor: Inform your financial aid advisor you are studying abroad on an Independent Study Abroad program.
Step 4:
Apply directly to the Independent Study Abroad Program
  • Contact Mason Study Abroad if you need a nomination or recommendation for your application.
Step 5:
Pay the non-refundable administrative fee via VISA/MasterCard
  • $570 for a year-long experience abroad
  • $375 for a semester program
  • $275 for summer or winter short-term programs earning up to 6 credits
Step 7:
Returning to Mason
  • Upon Returning to George Mason, request your transcript to be sent directly to Mason Study Abroad.

Do NOT have your transcript sent to the Office of the Registrar!

Please Note

George Mason University policy requires that any foreign transcript not presented in English must be officially translated by an accredited translation service provider. For information on qualified translators, please contact the American Translators Association or another recognized translation service such as University Language Service.

*If you take any classes that were not approved on your Petition for Transfer of Credits Form, you are not guaranteed transfer of these credits.
*Mason Study Abroad, the Office of the Registrar, and the Office of Admissions have the FINAL AUTHORITY in determining whether or not an institution is accredited.


Form Download
Petition for Transfer of Credit Download PTC Form


Study Abroad / Internship / Career Related Sites

Heidi Bloom

Program Officer

Phone 703-993-3864
Office Hours

Monday, 1pm-3pm
Wednesday, 10am-12pm