Each chapter must function under the guidance of an Advisor who is an official officer of the chapter. The Advisor should be an individual actively interested in the challenges and activities of preprofessional health students. The duties of the Advisor include:
• Promotes the general welfare of the chapter and advances the ideals of the Society.
• Provides guidance, counsel and encouragement to officers and members.
• Insures that all candidates selected for membership meet the requirements of the both the
National and Chapter Constitution and Bylaws .
• Verifies the membership credentials of each member by signing the chapter verification
statement on each AED Membership Record Form submitted to the National Office.
• Assists the officers and members in the selection of appropriate leaders in the educational and health professions as Honorary members.
• Encourages the selection of capable leadership to insure continuity of the chapter and maintenance of an effective program of activities of interest and benefit to the members and other interested students on campus.
• The Advisor’s office can serve as a place to maintain and access permanent chapter records.
The leadership of the President is a key element in chapter success. The President serves as a mentor for other officers and is responsible for chapter functions including the following:
• Election and initiation of new members, including honorary members.
• Initiation and development of chapter programs and activities.
• Appointment of committees to carry out chapter functions.
• Distribution of the AED NEWSLETTER and THE SCALPEL for circulation among members.
• Determining that other chapter officers and committees perform their duties in a satisfactory manner.
• Election and induction of new officers.
The Vice President is the President’s “right hand” and many times becomes a candidate for President.
The functions of the Vice President may include:
• Functions in the absence of the President
• Handles chapter publicity, including preparation of posters and notices for meetings, chapter activities, and news releases. The Vice President and Historian should cooperate in maintaining a chapter scrapbook and/or other material as a record of activities.
• The Vice President may produce a Chapter Newsletter for distribution to the members, alumni, National Officers, and Regional Director.
• Serves as the individual whom the President can delegate to function in special circumstances, i.e., formulate ad hoc committees, coordinate special projects, etc.
Maintenance of good chapter records is essential for successful chapter function. The Secretary is responsible for all chapter and membership records, including the following:
• Maintains official minutes of all chapter “executive council” meetings.
• Maintains the permanent Chapter Rollbook containing the signature and home address of each person initiated into the chapter
Please check the AED Website in “Publications” for updated forms and materials.
• Signs the completed AED Membership Record Form for all new members - student and honorary - and forwards them, along with a check for the total membership fees from the Chapter Treasurer, to the AED National Office. Maintains a file of all completedmembership records submitted to the National Office along with a copy of the “Chapter Batch Total” printout.
• During the school year, distributes membership materials, including National membership cards and certificates, to new members registered with the National Office
• Maintain contact and correspondence with AED National Office and Regional Director, keep the names and addresses of the chapter officers up-to-date, and submit Chapter Information Form* .
The Treasurer has the responsibility of conducting the chapter’s financial business. This officer pays the bills and keeps the chapter out of the red ink zone. It is important for there to be a good annual “hand off” from former treasurer to new treasurer.
• Maintains an accurate account of all financial transactions for the permanent records of the chapter, collects all membership fees and chapter dues and pays all expenses. The Financial Records should be reviewed at the end of the Treasurer's term of office by a committee or by the Chapter Advisor. The Annual Financial Audit Report must be completed and submitted to the AED National Office no later than February 1 st (ARTICLE VII Section 7 of the AED Constitution) .
• Provides the Secretary with a check covering the total national membership fees for all initiates that are submitted (along with the completed AED Membership Record Forms ) to the AED National Office. Please send one check for the total amount of membership fees to the National Office.
• Clears signatures and title of chapter account with appropriate bank or college/university officials as soon as a new Treasurer is elected and installed, so that checks can be processed without delay.
Events Coordinator/Scalpel Reporter
The Historian is the person who is responsible for informing the present and future of the past. This officer functions in the following capacities:
• Prepares a summary of chapter activities and programs for the year as a basis for the Biennial Chapter Report due at each National Convention as required by the Constitution, Article VII, Section 7.
• Cooperates with the Vice President in maintaining the chapter scrapbook and other historical chapter records. Major historical items, including early Chapter Minute Books, Roll Books, etc., should be maintained so that future members can access them. The Historian should make sure that the Chapter’s Charter is maintained/displayed.
Many chapters have a Scalpel Reporter in addition to the office of Historian AND many chapters just have an Historian- in which case, the duties listed below are handled by the Historian.
• The Scalpel Reporter lets the world know what their chapter has done, is doing, and will do.
• If possible prepare and send reports for the “Chapter Pride Roll” section of The Scalpel electronically or as Word attachments to E-mail - our E-mail address is email@example.com. Please send B&W or color photos under separate cover via conventional mail with descriptive captions.
Photos may be mailed to THE SCALPEL , AED National Office, James Madison University, MSC 4307, Harrisonburg, VA 22807.
• The Scalpel is the voicebox for your chapter so the Reporter should make sure that information is shared with other chapters.
• We would like to have the Reporter send us ANYTHING of interest for publication consideration.
Please think of us next time you hear/see an interesting presentation/article. Thanks!
The webmaster is responsible for keeping AED's website updated with the latest events, meetings, activities, etc...