SHPE changes lives by empowering the Hispanic community to realize its fullest potential and to impact the world through STEM awareness, access, support and development.
SHPE's vision is a world where Hispanics are highly valued and influential as the leading innovators, scientists, mathematicians and engineers.
The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) was founded in Los Angeles, California, in 1974 by agroup of engineers employed by the city of Los Angeles .Their objective was to form a national organization of professional engineers to serve as role models in the Hispanic community. The concept of Networking was the key basis for the organization. The concept of Networking was the key basis for the organization. SHPE quickly established two student chapters to begin the network that would grow to encompass the nation as well as reach countries outside the United States. Today, SHPE enjoys a strong but independent network of professional and student chapters throughout the nation.
SHPE-GMU focuses on the organization's 5 pillars to benefit chapter members:
• Professional Development: We bring guest speakers to you with the purpose of helping you grow in your career path.
• Leadership Development: Become an intern! Best way to develop the leader within you, take on chapter duties and responsibilities.
• Academic Development: Attend our workshops, come to our study sessions, browse our internships web-section, etc. Plenty of opportunities to succeed!
• Chapter Development: Come to our General Body Meetings! Your opportunity to hang out with other fellow chapter members and friends. Food, music and lots of useful info.
• Community Outreach: From a JR. SHPE Chapter at high schools to Noche de Ciencias where other SHPE chapters get together to influence young high school students to reach their goals.
**You must be registered with both SHPE-GMU chapter and SHPE National to be considered as member**