George Mason University
Approved Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting
October 2, 2002

Present: J. Bennett, L. Brown, P. Buchanan, M. De Nys, D. Kuebrich

Chair Jim Bennett opened the meeting at 12:08 pm.

I. Approval of Minutes
The Minutes of the September 25, 2002 Executive Committee meeting were approved as amended.

II. Announcement
The Committee was pleased with the Faculty of the School of Law’s Resolution on Dual Track Tenure. It was decided that the Senate’s endorsement should be submitted as written. Since the full Senate has yet to discuss the issue, it wouldn’t be appropriate to submit a similar Resolution or announce that the Law School’s Resolution “supports the position already taken by the Faculty Senate.” The Resolution raised many questions, including: What percentage of the faculty is even aware of this issue? What percentage would be against the BOV proposal? How should the Senate publicize this issue among the general Faculty, especially creating an awareness of the long-term ramifications of dual track tenure?

III. Reports from Senate Standing Committee Chairs/
IV. Agenda Items for October 9, 2002 Faculty Senate Committee

Marty De Nys will introduce the Dual Track Resolution on behalf of the Executive Committee as amended.

A. Academic Policies
Due to the absence of Dr. Elstun and Dr. Stearns from the meeting, it was decide that the Minors Issue will be postponed for discussion in later Executive Committee and Faculty Senate meetings.

The Task Force on Teacher/Course Evaluation Report was added. Dr. Elstun will introduce Dr. John Miller’s report, and then follow up with the subsequent motions. The Task Force’s complete report and recommendations will be sent with the Agenda for the October 9th full Senate meeting.

B. Facilities & Support Services & Library
The Committee will meet on Friday to discuss the administration of the Library. Is the Library’s main function that of information technology—therefore under the jurisdiction of the Office of Information Technology—or that of academia and
research—and should instead report to the Provost’s office?

C. Faculty Matters
No action items for next week’s meeting. Currently the Committee is working on the publication of the faculty evaluation of the administration and a resolution on administration activity reports based on that evaluation.

D. Nominations
Three nominations for the ad hoc Committee on Faculty Senate Bylaws will be presented for approval at next week’s meeting: David Kuebrich, Robert Nadeau, and Ann Baker. Hopefully there will also be a nomination to present for the vacancy on the External Relations Committee.

E. Organization & Operations
No action items for next week’s meeting. It was mentioned that the issue of Research Faculty and their due process rights still needs to be addressed.

F. Ad Hoc Budget Committee
Dr. Coffinberger will be attending a budget briefing by Dr. Scherrens this Friday. He will also continue reviewing reports from the Deans and Directors concerning the budget reduction process for their departments.

IV. Additional Topics
Honor System

Dr. Bennett and the Registrar will meet to discuss the possibility of a website page concerning the Honor Code. The idea is that students would read the Honor Code itself, along with explanatory information, and then answer 3-4 questions concerning their understanding of the material and willingness to adhere to it. The students would have to do this before they could register for classes so that there would be no confusion of the “meaning” of the Honor Code and the consequences of violating it. It was noted that the website should be created by the Honor Committee since the Honor system is student-run. There was some debate concerning the balance of responsibility between the faculty and the students in the Honor system.

V. Adjournment
The meeting adjourned at 1:00 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Debi Siler
Clerk, Faculty Senate

Return to Executive Committee Page