MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITEEE
OF THE FACULTY
April 16, 2007; 2:00 – 3:00 p.m., Enterprise Hall, room 318
Present: Jim Bennett, Lorraine Brown, Phil Buchanan, Jim Sanford, Suzanne Slayden, Cliff Sutton
Approval of the Minutes of March 26, 2007: The minutes were approved as distributed.
Election of Faculty Representatives to BOV Committees:
· General faculty defined as all full-time faculty (instructional and research); administrative faculty ineligible.
· Should terms be staggered? Does not seem as important as representatives are doing different things.
· Elections to be held every two years in the spring.
· Need for regular reports to faculty? Not answerable to the Faculty Senate; concern about lack of communication; we do not profit from what they have observed.
· At joint meeting of Faculty Senate Executive Committee and BOV Faculty Representatives (Feb. 2007), BOV representatives wanted to give reports as needed, not as mandated.
Minutes of Special-Called Faculty Senate Meeting – March 23, 2007: Once approved, to write a brief cover letter of transmittal to the BOV members.
Second-Level Tenure Review in Units Without Departments:
· Was Krasnow Institute Report delivered by its director, James Olds, at March 2007 Faculty Senate meeting given in lieu of formal hearing? Same report as given to the BOV.
· Degree housed in a program, not a department: shared between Dept. of Psychology and College of Science (COS). Krasnow will have faculty lines.
· According to the Faculty Handbook, for second-level tenure review in small units, Faculty Senate representative must be involved (has never happened). ICAR does not have second-level review, used to have outside people. CEHD has two level reviews if no department-level review.
· Will Faculty Handbook revisions address second-level review? Already states if you do not have enough people, need to go outside – to send a letter to the Provost, cc: institute directors by name.
· Concern expressed about reorganization of a unit – why is there not a hearing about Krasnow akin to CAS/SCS merge? Many questions raised. Krasnow reorganization and tenure are two separate issues; to monitor for any changes.
Status of Use of Public Space Policies:
· Three new policies: (1) Vending Sales; (2) Solicitation Posting; (3) Amplified Sound Policy.
· Seventeen-page document does not address petition gathering at all; authorship unknown, may have been written by outside attorney. Four Senators provided input in wake of fall problems.
· To contact faculty member who teaches a course on the use of public space to examine issue
· There will not be a separate demonstration policy in the future; need for a well-written policy.
· Feedback also from faculty member who is an expert on sound; willing to give power-point presentation to whomever wrote the policy.
Suggested ideas for reports at next Faculty Senate meeting, to be discussed at April 23rd Executive Committee meeting:
· Satellite Campus Task Force and Technology Policy Committee have offered to give reports.
· Dean Andrew Flagel of Admissions will present short report.
· To look through list of standing committees annual reports received for further suggestions.
Clerk, Faculty Senate