GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY
MINUTES OF THE FACULTY SENATE
January 22, 1997
Senators Present: Bergmann, P. Black, Blaisten-Barojas, Boileau, Conti, Crockett, De Nys, Deshmukh, Elstun, Gantz, Hamburger, High, Hurt, Jensen, Kaplan, Manchester, Mellander, Merten, Metcalf, L. Miller, Palkovich, Perry, Potter, Rine, Rosenblum, Ruhling, Ruth, Sanford, Sofer, Spikell, Tabak, Taylor, Thomas, Wilkie, Wood and Zoltek.
Senators Absent: Albanese, W. M. Black, Carty, Clements, Eagle, Fuchs, Fulmer, Mose, Muris.
Attending Guests: McKalip (Academic Advising), S. Jones (Registrar), K. Reed (Student Government), K. Urda (Student Government), E. Rubin (Student Government), Rootes (Faculty Senate Office)
I. Call to Order
II. Approval of Minutes
The minutes of the December 4, 1996 meeting continued on December 11, 1996 were approved as written.
A. President Alan Merten had not yet returned from Richmond. His report was deferred until his arrival. When President Merten arrived he reported that there are more activities occurring on campus than usual, particularly in the areas of leadership, assessment, and infrastructure building. He encouraged the senate to be involved in these areas. He said that faculty now have both the opportunity and the responsibility to be involved and to make a campus-wide impact. He reported that the areas of reviews, searches, planning, and process examination are being conducted parallel and that it would not be possible to consider them in a sequential manner. He encouraged all faculty to attend the candidate search presentations, even those positions not in their school or department.
Merten then reported on legislative matters. Richmond is currently in a "short" 45 day session that occurs in odd-numbered years, but is still considering 3000 bills. He said there were 3 groups of issues discussed with the legislators; (i)major issues affecting all of the state's universities, (ii)GMU-specific issues, and (iii)Old Dominion/GMU Equity issues.
All the universities are supporting a unified amendment concerning the following issues: faculty salaries, non-loan financial aid, and technology. George Mason specific requests include one million dollars to build the Prince William Institute auditorium and other capital expenditures such as the Academic Four Building at the Fairfax campus. Old Dominion and George Mason Universities also pursued the university funding equity issue with the 35- member Northern Virginia delegation. Merten said both universities have historically been under-funded in relation to other doctoral granting universities. He said this session the universities presented their case on a factual basis, rather than an emotional basis as in the past. Finally, he reported that higher education has not been a priority in legislative mail. The public does not appear to be concerned about supporting higher education.
Provost David Potter reported that all searches are on track.
When questioned about the status of a GLBT Center, Merten said the Minority Student Affairs Office will try to support the needs of the GLBT population, but that the subject will not go to the Board again until next year.
When questioned about the future of football at GMU, Merten replied that an intercollegiate athletic review investigating NCAA conformity had just been completed. He said the review did not include football. If football is considered, it would first have to be considered financially.
Merten reported that the Governor has awarded one million dollars to the World Congress Organizing Committee to market and promote the World Congress of Technology. The Congress will be held at GMU in June, 1998.
Finally, he reported that the issue of lagged pay is still being addressed. The pay schedule will change, but methods are being considered that will that will not adversely affect employees.
B. In addition to announcements previously distributed via email, Elstun announced the appointment of two new faculty representatives to the Board of Visitors Awards Committee. The new committee members will be Ann Palkovich (SOC), and Steve Ruth (GBI). Palkovich and Ruth will serve for a minimum of two years.
C. Wood announced the membership of the University Futures Task Force. The members are Joe Wood, Chair (CAS), Margaret Brinig (LAW), Robert Clark (CAS) Michelle LeBaron (ICAR), Andrzej Manitius (SITE), Gloria Murray (GSE), and Ellen Todd (CAS). In addition the task force will be supported by Lorna Irvine (Provost Office) and Larry Stern (TIPP).
D. Boileau announced that a parliamentary procedure session would be held Wednesday, January 29, 1997 from 3:00-5:00pm in Robinson B113. All interested senators were urged to attend.
IV Unfinished Business
There was no unfinished business.
V New Business
A. Senate Committee Reports
1. Executive Committee
Taylor presented a motion from the executive committee (see Attachment A) to create a University Ad Hoc Post-Tenure Review Committee. The Executive Committee moves that the Senate create an Ad Hoc University Post-Tenure Review Committee to assist the Office of the Provost with the implementation of the post-tenure review policies adopted by the Faculty Senate and the central administration in Spring 1996; and instruct the Nominations Committee to present, at the Senate's regular February meeting or as soon thereafter as possible, a slate of eight nominees (1 faculty member from each of the 7 colleges/schools, and 1 faculty member representing the institutes) for election to this committee; and that the committee be charged to: (1) ensure that all local academic units have their evaluation standards and mechanisms in place, as required by the Faculty Handbook; (2) ensure that the Office of the Provost has a monitoring process in place; (3) develop a process for the evaluation of eminent, university, and Robinson professors; and (4) work with the Office of the Provost on other details of implementation as may become necessary;
that the committee make an interim report to the Senate in September, 1997, and a final report no later than May, 1998.
Motion was unanimously approved.
2. Academic Policies Committee
DeNys reported the committee is still considering the CAS proposal to convert PAGE to an honors program. Discussion should conclude at their next meeting. Secondly, at the request of the provost, they are considering a faculty-wide academic appeals committee . Finally, they are considering a proposal to place the BIS and BAIS programs in New Century College.
3. Faculty Matters Committee
There was no report.
4. Organization and Operations Committee
Spikell reported that the Senate Bylaw changes had been passed and reviewed editorially. The O&O Committee will not present any additional motions this year concerning the Nominations Committee. He also reported the committee is working on the reallocation of senate seats for the next academic year.
5. Facilities and Support Services Committee
Zoltek announced that Stanley Taylor (Associate Vice President, Operational Services) will be addressing the Senate at its February meeting, regarding bomb threats and security. He requested feedback via email concerning the campus holiday lockdown procedures. The committee is continuing to work on parking issues and concerns regarding shared travel expense procedures.
6. Nominations Committee
Taylor presented a slate of nominees for the following open committee positions. Charlene Hurt (University Libraries) to replace Jae Chung on the Facilities and Support Committee, Wayne Perry (TIP) to replace Jae Chung on the Minority Affairs Committee, and three positions on the newly created University Standing Salary Study Committee. Nominatees for the new committee were Ann Cary (CNHS), Thomas Dietz (CAS), and Charles Thomas, Senator, (GSE). There were no nominations from the floor for any of the open positions. All nominees were elected by unanimous ballot.
The Provost and Equity offices will appoint their respective members of the Salary Study Committee after the faculty members are chosen.
B. Other Reports
1. Senate Liaisons to the Board of Visitors
Ruhling presented the liaisopn's report (see Attachment C.)
Conti questioned why the Palkovich report on gender salary equity had not been presented to the Board. She moved that the senate request Vice President Ingram to petition the EEO and AA Committee of the Board of Visitors to include the Palkovich report in their agenda.
Elstun noted that the existence of varied opinions and conclusions had already been conveyed to the Board. Potter noted that Ingram does not control the BOV agenda and that we have already obtained the Board action sought, through the creation of the Salary Study Committee. Conti withdrew the motion.
2. Faculty Senate of Virginia
There will be a meeting with SCHEV on Friday, January 24, 1997.
VI. Other New Business
Taylor presented a motion from the installation subcommittee of the Presidential Inauguration committee. (See Attachment B) She stressed that it was the committee's intention to encourage participation by faculty and students. The motion is a recommendation to faculty, not a directive.
Motion was passed that the Faculty Senate recommends that classes scheduled Friday April 4 between 1:30 and 4:30 p.m. not be held, or be rescheduled to meet another time. The Faculty Senate further encourages all faculty to participate in inaugural events and to promote such participation by their students.
VII Adjournment at 4:25pm.
Background Information: During the academic year 1995-96 the Faculty Matters Committee and the Executive Committee of the Senate worked with the Provost on the development of consequential post-tenure review policies, as mandated by the Commonwealth. The jointly-developed policies were adopted by the Faculty Senate and the central administration in spring 1996. The Provost has requested that a faculty committee assist him and his staff with the details of implementation, which were not addressed in the policy document.
The Executive Committee MOVES: that the Senate create an Ad Hoc University Post-Tenure Review Committee to assist the Office of the Provost with the implementation of the post-tenure review policies adopted by the Faculty Senate and the central administration in spring 1996;
and instruct the Nominations Committee to present, at the Senate's regular February meeting or as soon thereafter as possible, a slate of eight nominees (1 faculty member from each of the 7 colleges/schools, and 1 faculty member representing the institutes) for election to this committee;
and that the committee be charged to: (1) ensure that all local academic units have their evaluation standards and mechanisms in place, as required by the Faculty Handbook; (2) ensure that the Office of the Provost has a monitoring process in place; (3) develop a process for the evaluation of eminent, university, and Robinson professors; and (4) work with the Office of the Provost on other details of implementation as may become necessary;
that the committee make an interim report to the Senate in September 1997, and a final report no later than May 1998.
At 2:00 p.m. April 4, 1997, Alan Merten will be inaugurated as GMU's 5th president in a ceremony involving GMU faculty, staff, students, alumni and community. A reception for all will follow in the Johnson Center. A faculty/staff/student committee is planning the ceremony. The committee agrees that for all to be free to take part in the inauguration, it will be best if classes are not held on that afternoon. The committee requests that the GMU Faculty Senate and Provost endorse a recommendation to faculty that they cancel or reschedule any classes scheduled for Friday afternoon.
On behalf of the committee, therefore, I will move that: The Faculty Senate recommends that classes scheduled Friday April 4 between 1:30 and 4:30 p.m. not be held, or be rescheduled to meet another time. The Faculty Senate further encourages all faculty to participate in inaugural events and to promote such participation by their students.
The George Mason University Board of Visitors Committee meetings and Board Meeting took place on Thursday, January 16, 1997 in Mason Hall.
The Faculty Senate was represented at the EEO and Affirmative Action, Lan Use and Physical Facilities, Faculty and Academic Standards, Student Affairs, and Finance and Resource Development Committee meetings, as well as the Board of Visitors meeting.
During the EEO and Affiramtive Action Committee meeting, Vice President Ingram announced the establishment of a new University Standing Committee on Salary Equity, with three members elected by the Faculty Senate, one appointed by the Provost, and one and one appointed by the University Equity Officer. Professors Don Gantz and John Miller presented their George Mason University Salary Equity Study which examined the differences in pay between men and women who are either tenured or on the tenure track. A synopsis of points made at the salary equity forum sponsored by the Faculty Senate and Provost's Office was also distributed to members of the Board committee. In addition , Mr. Ron Sinacore presented "Affirmative Action facts in Brief," which detailed ethnicity trends in enrollment and statistics regarding minority undergraduate and graduate students and minority degree recipients for selected years. In addition, the current ethnic and gender distributions of minority faculty were also presented.
During the Land Use and Physical Facilities Committee Meeting, it was announced that most likely there will be a ground breaking ceremony in March for the Fairfax pool. The grand opening for Prince William academic I will most likely occur in September during a BOV tour of recently built facilities. The Committee approved the request of the state to convert less than 0.5 acre of land which GMU owns from educational purposes to transportation purposes as Pohick Drive is extended into Fairfax City, proper, and to allow 2.4 acres of lang owned by GMU to be allowed to be used as part of the changes involving University Drive between Pohick Drive and State Route 123 to the west. The status of all capital projects was presented by Reid Herlihy whereas the "Six-Year Capital Outlay Plan," was presented by Jim Stamp.
During the Faculty and Academic Standards Committee Meeting Provost Potter presented an update on the leadership searches currently underway; faculty actions were presented as courtesy announcements; and it was noted that the minutes to the special meeting held on December 16, 1996 regarding a briefing on business education on campus were available. The special meeting was specifically conducted to learn about progress in resolving the crisis in the business School. Dr. Jack High, Head of the Task Force on Business Education reported that the Task force has been interviewing students, faculty, and members of the business community, and that by early February the Task Force will present to the president a set of three to four alternative proposals for business education at GMU. Board members also heard opinions from the floor. In general, graduate students expressed their satisfaction with the existing condition. In contrast, undergraduate students voiced their dissatisfaction with the existing situation, and in particular expressed concern about (i) the academic standards at the undergraduate level; (ii) the disproportionate small portion of funding for business education that goes to under graduate education despite the overwhelming size of the undergraduate program ( iii) possible plans to eliminate specialized tracks; and (iv) possible plans to move undergraduate business to other schools. Professors Marjorie Haley and Mary Anne Lecos from the Graduate School of Education then presented "Partnership as Policy,"which detailed the partnerships that have been developed between GMU and the public schools (K-12) in the Northern Virginia area. Jennifer Murphy then presented the manner in which intellectual property and patents are handled on this campus (from the GMU Faculty Handbook).
Following lunch, the Student Affairs committee met during which time the Committee decided that the nest time it would review the utilization of GLBT student counseling within the Office of Minority Student Affairs will be March 1998. The Committee also called for the employment of a full-time advisor to the Broadside (at present, a half-time advisor is employed). Committee members emphasized that the role of the advisor would be purely editorial, (i.e., grammatical), and that he/she would not have any say regarding the content of the newspaper. Dr Jennifer Douglas made a presentation concerning student scholarships which was followed by a presentation by the Athletic director, Tom O'Connor, along with Vice President, Maurice Scherrens, concerning the status of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. Their main concerns were gender equity in regard to opportunity for men and women to participate in intercollegiate athletics, the quality of the student-athlete, and fulfilling the mandates as set forth by the NCAA and the CAA.
The Finance and Resource Development Committee began its meeting with hearing the intercollegiate athletics report and finished with action items regarding proposed legislative budget amendments, the student housing budget for 1997-1998, a banking services agreement, and the higher education revenue bonds for the Fairfax swimming pool, all of which were passed by the committee. Lastly, Donna Bafundo gave a very brief overview of the University Scholars Program.
Finally at 5:15 pm (on a day when meetings started at 8:30am), the full Board met. Dr. Pat Riordan, Dean of Admissions made a strong case for preserving our freshman interviews as a part of the application process. We also heard the Rector's report, the President's report, and each of the committee reports which were accepted as presented. All action items, previously voted and approved in committee were voted and approved by the larger board including the proposed revisions to the Bylaws of the Board of Visitors.
The next meeting of the Board of Visitors was scheduled for Wednesday, March 26,1997. Adjournment occurred at 6:35 pm when the Board moved into Executive Session to review legal issues.
Return to Archives