George Mason University
Approved Minutes of the Faculty Senate
December 5, 2001

Senators Present: K. Avruch, J. Bennett, E. Blaisten-Barojas, D. Boileau, B. Brown, L. Brown, P. Buchanan, R. Conti, M. Deshmukh, E. Elstun, H. Gortner, J. High, H.W. Jeong, D. Kuebrich, J. Moore, H. Morgan, L. Pawloski, J. Kozlowski, L. Rockwood, J. Sanford, J. Scimecca, L. Seligmann, S. Slayden, B. Smith, A. Sofer, P. Stearns, P. Story, C. Sutton, C.
Thomas, S. Trencher, P. Wilkie, J. Zenelis, S. Zoltek

Senators Absent: A. Berry, W.M. Black, L. Bowen, R. Carty, S. Cheldelin, T. Chorvat, Y. D. Chung, S. Cobb, R. Coffinberger, S. deMonsabert, M. DeNys, T. Friesz, J. Gorrell, M. Grady, L. Griffiths, G. Hanweck, K. Haynes, R.C. Jones, R. Klimoski, A. Kolker, M. Krauss, B. Manchester, C. Mattusch, A. Merten, R. Nadeau, E. Price, W. Reeder, S. Ruth, P. So, D. Struppa, B. Sturtevant

Guests Present: Susan Jones, Mary Lee Vance, Robin Herron, Nancy Dickerson, Matt Karush, Sheryl Beach, Laurie Fathe, Star Muir, Jack Censer, Tom Hennessey

I. Call to Order
Chair, Don Boileau called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm.

II. Approval of Minutes
The Minutes of November 7, 2001, were approved.

III. Announcements
Patricia Miller, Music, spoke to the faculty regarding the Combined Virginia Campaign. The deadline has been extended to December 17, 2001. She asked each senator to relay a message to their units, so that they may complete the pledge card. George Mason currently has pledges and contributions totaling $24,000. Last year’s contribution at GMU was $43,000.

Don Boileau, Chair extended the Senate’s appreciation to Mary Lee Vance, Director of the Advising Center. She will be leaving the University at the end of December.

Jack High, International Commerce and Policy, delivered a eulogy for Don Lavoie, faculty member in the School of Public Policy who died November 6, 2001. A moment of silence was observed by the Faculty Senate in his memory. Don Boileau, Chair will send a letter of condolence to the family of Prof. Lavoie.

IV. Unfinished Business

V. Senate Committee Reports

Executive Committee

Don Boileau, Chair, reported the Board of Visitors is interested in Senate representation regarding University advancement and promotion. He will report on this request after meeting with the BOV.

Academic Policies Committee – Esther Elstun
By invitation of the Academic Policies Committee, Laurie Fathe, Director of the Center for Teaching Excellence presented a report. See Attachment 1. There was a question and answer period after her report.

Esther Elstun, Chair, Academic Policies Committee invited Laurie Fathe, Director, Center for Teaching Excellence to return to the Faculty Senate for an updated report in the Spring of 2002.

The Academic Policies Committee met on November 14 with Linda Schwartzstein and Susan Jones regarding confusion with the C- grade and Satisfactory standing. They have proposed separate charts for graduates and undergraduates in the catalog to minimize confusion. This will serve as a reminder that C- is a satisfactory grade in a course, but it is still necessary to maintain a 2.0 to attain good standing in the University.

The Task Force on Teaching Evaluations has met three times, and will meet December 3 and December 10.
Active members of the group include: Mark Addelson, Minder Chen, Charlene Douglas, Laurie Fathe, Karen Genteman,
John Miller, Hugh Sockett. See Attachment 2.

The Academic Policies Committee will meet on Friday, December 7 at 12:30 with Walter Rankin and Doris Bitler on the residency requirement. Please contact the Committee if you wish to attend.

Facilities and Support Services and Libraries Committee – Stanley Zoltek
Stanley Zoltek will be meeting with the Campus Police regarding the lockdown procedure for the holidays. If you have any special requests regarding this procedure, please contact the Facilities and Support Services and Libraries Committee.

Faculty Matters Committee – Joe Scimecca
The Committee is looking into the reason that faculty pay raises currently begin in December rather than September. Also, they are researching the possibility of receiving compensation in the retirement fund for teaching in Summer Session.

Organization and Operations – Estela Blaisten-Barojas
No report.

Nominations Committee – Don Boileau
Andrew Flagel, Dean, Admissions has requested a senator to serve on a search committee. This is a combination of two positions, one of which is to replace Mary Lee Vance, Director, Advising Center. A senator is also needed to work on the committee with Reid Herlihy on plans for Academic IV.

Technology Policy – Stanley Zoltek
The Faculty Senate Technology Policy Committee met at 2:00 on November 16, 2001, in Mason Hall D1. Committee members present: A. Berry, R. Carver, M. Dworzecka, J. Ofut, R. Nadeau, S. Ruth, S. Zoltek. Other participants: A. Agee, J. Hughes.

1. Comments from our November 9 meeting:
(a) technology needs of faculty are diverse and priorities differ greatly with disciplines and even within disciplines
(b) reviewing budget data supplied by J. Hughes makes it clear that not all priorities can be funded equally and many can’t be funded at all © weekend electronic-classroom support appears a priority that is common to many LAU’s.

2. At the November 16 meeting the committee recommend that electronic classrooms be supported on weekends at the same level as they are on weekdays and week nights

3. The committee suggests that the IT unit create ITU-ERUPT (Information Technology Emergency Reponse Unit Preparedness Team). (Followup: Walt Sevon is examining the feasibility of instructors being able to move a class from an
electronic classroom to a lab when electronic classroom support can’t be provided or support staff can’t successfully resolve a problem in a time frame that allows a class to continue.)

4. J. Hughes discussed the IT Unit’s currently unsuccessful efforts to negotiate a contract with an ISP to provide dial-up service at a substantial discount. (Most ISP’s think in terms of millions or hundreds of thousands of clients and view the GMU population as too small to be worth creating a special arrangement.)

5. Some members stated that technology peripherals, screens being one example, often are placed in ways that limit or reduce more traditional classroom facilities such as usable white (black) board space, especially when both the screen and boards need to be used. (This discussion led to the next item.)

6. The Committee indicated the need for continuing faculty input regarding integration of technology in Academic IV. (Follow up: J. Hughes contacted R. Herlihy indicating she believes the Senate should appoint a representative to work with Anne Agee and his staff on upcoming decisions related to Academic IV.)

7. The Committee next meets on January 25, 2002, at 2:00 pm in Mason Hall, D1.

Committee on External Academic Relations – Ariela Sofer
On November 28th External Academic Relations Committee met for a luncheon for Delegates Vince Callahan, and Harry Parrish. Senator Charles Colgan was also scheduled to attend but had to cancel due to a family emergency. The discussion
was positive and productive. We discussed the under funding of GMU, and the problems of space, large classes, and lack of lab equipment. Another focus of the discussion was representation of faculty on Board of Visitors; the guests were attentive and interested. In the course of the lunch, Delegate Callahan discussed a letter from Don Boileau, informing him of the Faculty Senate resolution on the issue of privacy. Callahan explained that it would be highly unusual for the legislature to issue an exemption to a directive by a state agency, but thought that there were other avenues to achieve the exemption, and promised to look into this.

Faculty Liaison to the Board of Visitors – Ariela Sofer
The BOV met November 28. A highlight of the meeting was a presentation by Carl Kelley Chair of SCHEV, on SCHEV's recommendation to the Governor and the General Assembly for the next biennium. Details may be found online in the Daily Mason Gazette.

The Faculty and Academic Standards Committee approved several degree proposals including: BS in Information Technology, MA in Transportation Policy, Operations and Logistics, MS in Computational Science, MS in Earth Science, LL.M. in Intellectual Property Law, LL.M in Law and Economics and BA/BS in Astronomy. The Committee also approved the change of status for the Program in Environmental Science and Policy to a department, with the stipulation that the department be reviewed after about two years. The Committee’s actions were subsequently approved by the full Board of Visitors.

General Education Committee – Sheryl Beach
See Attachment 3

VI. New Business
Senate Faculty Matters Committee
It has come to the attention of the Senate Faculty Matters Committee that Summer School 2002 assignments are being made in multiple units of the University in ways that ignore and violate both the March 2000 "Memorandum of Understanding" on Summer School salaries endorsed by the Provost and the Chair of the Faculty Senate, and the five motions on Summer School compensation passed by the Faculty Senate on May 9, 2001. In light of this fact, the Faculty Matters Committee moves that:

The Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate and the Provost address this issue and resolve it in a way that conforms to the March 2000 "Memorandum of Understanding" and the five motions on Summer School compensation passed by the Senate on May 9, 2001.

The motion passed.

The Academic Policies Committee proposes the insertion of the following definition in the Catalog, in the list of definitions on p. 34, under “Concentration,” following the word “. . . track.”

Proposal from the Academic Policies Committee
The Academic Policies Committee moves:

Whereas the GMU Catalog does not provide specific guidelines for concentrations generally, and the issue of multiple concentrations in specific, (see page 34 of the current catalog), and
Whereas some students have claimed and received multiple concentration designations on their transcripts, even though some portion of the course-work for multiple concentrations is common to each concentration, and
Whereas the Provost’s Office and the University Registrar have requested guidance from the Faculty Senate regarding the requirements for claiming a concentration on a students transcript, and
Whereas the Academic Policies Committee believes that the listing of overlapping concentrations on transcripts is likely to mislead graduate schools, employers, and others about the student’s actual academic accomplishments,
A concentration consists of at least 12 hours that are not applied to any other concentration.

The motion passed.

Faculty Rewards and Incentive Committee of the BOV – Jack Censer
Jack Censer introduced Tom Hennessey, Chief of Staff to the President, GMU. This Committee has been meeting for a year. J. Censer asked senators to provide him information on what rewards and incentives would they recommend to hire and retain the best possible faculty. Suggestions from the floor included: Reinstate the September pay raise instead of December; Provide an improved benefits package; Decrease the number of restricted faculty; Institute a “real” sabbatical program; Increase the “start up” salary; Increase support for graduate students; Improved resources and space; and Salary compression needs improvement.

This Committee will meet again on January 18. Any further suggestions should be sent to the Senate Faculty Matters  Committee who will forward them to Jack Censer for his upcoming meeting.

A motion to adjourn was requested, and it was so moved and seconded.

The meeting adjourned at 4:22 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Lorraine Brown
Secretary, Faculty Senate

Return to Archives