The Vision Statement for George Mason University
The Innovative University for the
George Mason will be the university needed by a region and world driven
by new social, economic, and technological realities.
We are in the right place: The nation's capital region is the epicenter
of the world's political web, its information and communications network,
and its new economy.
We are ready: In an age that demands originality and imagination, George
Mason is among the nation's most innovative universities.
George Mason will:
- Be a magnet for outstanding faculty who will devise new ways to approach
problems, invent new ways to teach, and develop new knowledge for the
benefit of the region and nation.
- Attract inventive, industrious students of all ages and cultures and produce citizens who are intellectually and technologically literate people who will lead by the force of their
- Transform into knowledge and wisdom the vast amounts of information
now accessible through new technologies.
- Build strong alliances that bring the know-how of business and the community into the university
and take the knowledge of the university into the workplace and the larger
- Be a center of inquiry, knowledge, and professional expertise
in fields with vital implications for human needs and opportunities in
- Remain innovative, resourceful, and responsive, while
drawing on the intellectual and cultural heritage of the classical university.
by Alan G. Merten
President, George Mason University