FAQs for Admitted Transfer Students

Connect with Admissions FAQs

What visit options are the Office of Admissions offering?

Admissions is offering on-campus and virtual information sessions and tours. We also have a virtual campus tour that is accessible online at any time. Please check our Visit Mason page often as more opportunities will continue to be added. Registration is first come, first served.

Deposit FAQs

What is Mason’s enrollment deposit deadline for incoming transfer students?

Admitted transfer students are required to confirm their enrollment by submitting an enrollment deposit by June 15 for fall entrance, or December 1 for spring entrance.

Financial concerns are making it difficult to pay my deposit. I'd like to attend Mason. What should I do?

Please reach out to us at admissions@gmu.edu and we would be happy to assist you.

I've paid my enrollment deposit, what comes next?

Congratulations! We look forward to welcoming you to Mason! You can find the Next Steps for Admitted Students in your application decision portal or on the Next Steps for Admitted Transfer Students page. 

Records FAQs

When are updated and final transcripts due?

Your transcripts are required to complete your file and award you all of the credits to which you are entitled. Please contact your prior institution to ensure that all grades have been posted and, if applicable, any degree has been awarded, prior to requesting your transcript.

Guaranteed Admission Agreement (GAA) students: your final transcript with grades or WD codes for all prior terms and your degree are required by the last day of classes for your first semester at Mason in order for the Mason CORE waiver to be applied.

If you have an outstanding transcript request for a degree that you did not and will not be awarded or if you are having trouble getting your transcripts, please contact credeval@gmu.edu to have the transcript requirement and hold removed.

Will I still be eligible for GAA if my school changed to a pass/fail grading policy due to COVID-19? Will my course credits still transfer?

The University amended the transfer policy to accept courses graded on a Pass/Fail system during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Pass courses completed in the Spring and Summer 2020 terms that are equivalent to a C (2.0) grade or higher will be considered for transfer.

Pass courses completed in the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 that are equivalent to a C (2.0) grade or higher and designated as a pandemic-specific grade will be considered for transfer.

Students from institutions with a Pass grade lower than a C may submit a revised transcript with the letter grade or request a letter or email from that institution be sent directly to the Transfer Credit Evaluation team at credeval@gmu.edu noting the letter grade earned.

No passing grades are accepted for transfer from Fall 2021 forward.

RBC and VCCS students who present P+ grades will meet this requirement.

Consistent with transfer policy, grades of C minus or lower will not be considered for transfer.

P+ or Pass grades equivalent to a C or better earned in Spring or Summer 2020 will satisfy the requirement for selective admission majors in the Volgenau School of Engineering.

Nursing Student: "How will my pass/fail credits transfer?"

The School of Nursing will consider P+ grades issued during the pandemic from the Virginia Community Colleges to meet the requirements in pre-requisite courses for Pre-Nursing Traditional Pathway admission.

Students who completed classes on the pandemic-specific Pass/Fail grading scale are still eligible for regular or GAA admission provided they meet all other applicable requirements.

If you have any questions about this, please contact your Admissions Counselor.

Engineering Selective Admission: "How will my pass/fail credits transfer?"

P+ or Pass grades equivalent to a C or better earned on the pandemic-specific Pass/Fail grading scale will satisfy the requirement for selective admission majors in the College of Engineering and Computing.

When will transfer credit evaluations be completed?

Within 10 days following your admission decision, you will receive a notification via email that your initial credit evaluation is available. Evaluations may take longer during the peak summer application season.

The email will provide instructions on how to access your evaluation. Credits are awarded from official transcripts and test scores.

If you are admitted to Mason while enrolled and studying elsewhere, such as a community college or another university, your credit evaluation will not be complete until you submit your final transcript with your final grades.

If you are having trouble providing official transcripts and/or test scores, please reach out to your Admissions Counselor for assistance.

If you have questions regarding the transfer of specific credits or the credit evaluation process, please check the list of previously evaluated courses on our Transfer Credit Matrix or email our credit evaluations team.

What is the deadline to submit my Immunization Record form?

All incoming students must submit the Immunization Record form. Students who are enrolling for the fall semester must submit the form by August 1st. Students who are enrolling for the spring semester must submit the form by January 5. The Student Health Services Immunization Page can tell you more about the immunization requirements and frequently asked questions. 

FAFSA and Financial Aid FAQs

My family has been financially impacted by COVID-19 but I have not submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Can Mason help?

If you have not submitted a FAFSA and have been impacted financially by COVID-19, please contact your Admissions Counselor for assistance.

I submitted my Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). My family has now been financially impacted by COVID-19. Can Mason help?

If your family has been financially impacted by COVID-19, our financial aid counselors would be happy to talk with you regarding your situation and to see what might be possible to assist you.

Please contact Mason's Office of Financial Aid:

Hours: Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST
Phone: 703-993-2000 

Or send an email

Where can I find online information for the Student Accounts Office?

For general financial aid information, please visit the financial aid section of this website.

Deferment FAQs

How will Mason handle deferrals?

Students wishing to defer admission to George Mason University may submit a deferral request.

You may request to defer for one semester.

To do so, please remit your enrollment deposit to reserve your spot for the term you wish to start at Mason.

How will deferment affect merit scholarships?

If you are deferring from the semester due to the global pandemic, George Mason University will honor your merit scholarship package, if you received one. You will, however, need to re-file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please reach out to your Admissions Counselor for assistance. Please remember that during a deferral period you are not permitted to take classes at another college or university. 

Academics FAQs

When can I meet with my academic advisor?

Students meet initially with academic advisors during their Orientation session; however, if you choose the “Transfer Pre-Orientation Advising” option on the Orientation website, you may be able to meet with your advisor earlier. 


How do I change my major or sign up for a minor?

You can complete and submit the Change/Declaration of Academic Program through the Office of the University Registrar with your academic advisor.

Some programs have selective requirements in order to join and may require additional classes or a different application process. A minor declaration will follow the same process.

When do I take math placement exams or foreign language proficiency exams?

The Office of New Student and Family Programs will provide math and foreign language placement exam information as part of your transfer orientation. 

Placement exams are not required of all transfer students.

After I complete Orientation, how can I contact my academic advisor?

Academic advisor contact information is available on the Academic Advising website.

What are the plans for current and future semesters regarding COVID-19?

Please refer to our Safe Return to Campus page, where you can find the latest COVID-19 and campus health updates. 

Where can I find information about Orientation?

The Office of New Student and Family Programs website has more information about Orientation. Please visit their website or contact their office with your questions at orientu@gmu.edu or 703-993-2475.

New Student Life FAQs

Will I be able to live on campus?

For the most up-to-date information, please visit the Housing and Residence Life website.

How can I best connect with current Mason students?

Our current Mason students would love to connect with you! One way to connect is through the Mason Admissions’ social media accounts; we are active on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. The Mason Admissions’ YouTube channel features vlogs made by current Mason students and creators that provide an inside look at Mason’s campus community, academic life, and student life. We also offer the opportunity to meet one-on-one with an Admissions Counselor, and in that meeting, you can also meet with a current Mason student. Please reach out to your Admissions Counselor to schedule your virtual one-on-one, and request to have a current student be part of that meeting.

What is student life like at Mason?

There are many ways to get involved and opportunities to participate in free programs and events that Mason has to offer. We currently have hundreds of student clubs and organizations to choose from! You can start browsing these options on the student engagement platform, Mason 360.