Associate Professor, Accounting
Additional Roles: Accounting Advisory Council Faculty Fellow, Accounting Analytics Liaison
Phone: (703) 993-9038
Office Location: Enterprise Hall 237
Office Hours: By appointment
Dr. Karen Kitching is an associate professor within the Accounting Area in the School of Business at George Mason University. Prior to joining Mason in 2007, she served on the faculties of Georgetown University and the George Washington University, where she earned her PhD. She is a Certified Public Accountant with a license in Virginia. She is a Certified Information Technology Professional (AICPA) and holds certifications in the leading analytics platforms: Tableau, Alteryx, and UiPath.
Prior to her academic career, Dr. Kitching worked in industry as an accountant and as a database administrator. She currently teaches courses in accounting analytics in the undergraduate and masters programs. Past courses include financial accounting, cost accounting, financial statement analysis, and professional development. Dr. Kitching has led three graduate global residencies and taught at the Mason Korea campus for one semester.
Dr. Kitching's main research interest is in nonprofit governance, performance measurement, financial accounting, and audit markets. She is on the editorial advisory boards of Issues in Accounting Education and the Journal of Government and Nonprofit Accounting. She has published in Review of Accounting Studies, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Journal of Government and Nonprofit Accounting, Accounting Horizons, International Journal of Accounting, and Current Issues in Auditing.
Dr. Kitching is the Past President of the American Accounting Association's Government-Nonprofit Section, Coordinator of the Mason Dream-Catchers Program, which is a mentoring program for alternative high school students, University Marshal, and a founding member of the Mason Chapter of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.
- Nonprofit governance and performance measurement
- Financial and managerial accounting
- PhD, George Washington University
- MSA, American University
- BS, American University
Research and Awards
- “DATA Act Dashboard: An Instructional Case Using Data Visualization,” Journal of Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting, 2021.
- “Culture and Cost Stickiness: A Cross-country Study” with Raj Mashruwala and Mikhail Pevzner, The International Journal of Accounting, 2016.
- “The Spend-Save Decision: An Analysis of How Charities Respond to Revenue Changes” with Chris Jones, Andrea Roberts, and Pamela Smith, Accounting Horizons, 2014.
- “Comments by the Auditing Standards Committee of the Auditing Section of the American Accounting Association on the COSO Request for Comments on Internal Control Over External Financial Reporting: Compendium of Approaches and Examples,” with Mikhail Pevzner and Nate Stephens, Current Issues in Auditing, 2013.
- “Nonprofit Resource Allocation Decisions: A Study of Marginal versus Average Spending” with Andrea Roberts and Pamela Smith, Journal of Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting, 2012.
- “Are Special Items Informative About Future Profit Margins?” with Patricia Fairfield and Vicki Tang, Review of Accounting Studies, 2012.
- “Audit Value and Charitable Organizations,” Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 2009.
- “Bankruptcy Prediction Modeling and the ETL Process.”
- “RPA and ETL: An Instructional Case Using Government Performance Reports.”
- “Voluntary Disclosures and Charities: Do Nonprofits Inform Donors About Savings Decisions?”
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Master of Science in Accounting Program, 2022
- Online Teacher of Distinction, George Mason University, 2022
- Outstanding Contribution to Teaching Award, School of Business, 2022
- Finalist, Online Teaching Excellence Award, George Mason University, 2021
- Finalist, George Mason University, Teaching Excellence Award, 2018
- Online Faculty of the Year Award, School of Business, Master of Science in Accounting, 2017
- Phillip A. Blanchard Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Education, School of Business, George Mason University, 2017
- Career Connection Faculty Award, 2015 and 2016
- Distance Education Grant, Office of Distance Education, George Mason University, 2013
- Phillip A. Blanchard Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Education, School of Business, George Mason University, 2009
- Undergraduate Teaching Award, School of Business, George Washington University, 2003
- Adjunct Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, Kogod College, American University, 1998