Updates for Students

Mason is providing guidelines to help you have a great semester on campus. 


All students are strongly encouraged to get vaccinated, including a booster. You can get a vaccine on the Fairfax Campus.

If you have questions, Student Health Services has set up a COVID FAQ  and General Vaccine Requirement FAQ resource pages.  


Mason campuses are mask-optional except in health care settings and when instructed by a healthcare professional due to illness or close contact with someone with COVID. However, if you're more comfortable wearing a mask, feel free to continue. We still encourage you to wear a mask indoors. 

There are several minor and targeted exceptions requiring masks listed in University Policy 1415. If you are in a situation requiring a mask, but need a medical exemption from wearing a mask, visit the Office of Disability Services for more information.  

Mason offers a free N-95 mask to students at Mason's COVID test sites.  

COVID Health Check 

Residential students are encouraged to complete the Mason COVID Health Check every day, and all students are encouraged to complete it before coming to campus and participating in on-campus activities. It's required when testing and is available for use by event managers and instructors.  

If you test positive for COVID or are diagnosed with COVID, please report your positive case through Mason COVID Health Check. Mason uses this information to identify possible outbreaks and monitor COVID case counts within the Mason community for decision-making purposes.  

COVID Testing 

Mason provides free COVID testing on campus. Visit Mason’s COVID Testing webpage for more information. 

If you need a diagnostic test, isolate and contact Student Health Services at 703-993-2831 to seek evaluation and testing. If you’re enrolled at Mason, even if you don't have insurance, you’re eligible for treatment at SHS.  

If You’re Symptomatic 

If you have symptoms of COVID-19 or think you’ve been exposed, call Student Health Services at 703-993-2831 for medical advice and testing options, even if you’ve been fully vaccinated. 

If you’re sick, stay home unless you’re seeking medical care. 

If You Test Positive 

Student Health Services will provide care to residential students who are positive and symptomatic, and Mason will provide accommodations and/or support to residential students who remain on campus during their quarantine or isolation

Non-residential students who test positive should reach out to their primary care provider for medical care. If they need medical care and do not have a primary care provider, they can reach out to Student Health Services for medical care. 

Isolation and Quarantine

Student Health Services will make a formal determination if you’re required to quarantine or isolate. Some students will be allowed to stay in their residence halls.    

If you need a higher level of care, you’ll be referred to INOVA Hospital or the nearest emergency room.   

Financial Aid 

Higher Education Emergency Relief Funding (HEERF) is part of federal COVID-19 emergency grants provided to students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus. Apply for a HEERF grant.

  • Enrolled, degree / certificate seeking students eligible for financial aid as set forth by FAFSA can apply for aid under the COVID-19 Cares Act. 

  • If you’re undocumented, you can apply for financial aid through the Virginia Alternative State Aid Application (VASA).  


Contact Mason Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 703-993-2380 for reasons ranging from anxiety or relationship distress to suicidal ideation or other serious mental health issues during regular business hours.

After 4:30 p.m. and on weekends, Mason partners with crisis hotline Protocall Services to provide crisis services for our students.

Protocall is staffed by licensed clinicians to provide crisis intervention and referral services from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. weekdays and 24 hours on weekends. Call the CAPS number, 703-993-2380, then press 1 to be connected to Protocall.

Access in-person and virtual well-being programs through the Center for the Advancement of Well-BeingStudent Involvement, and Mason Recreation

Read FAQs on Campus Life and Student Services