Banner Code: AR-BA-DANC
Performing Arts Building, Room A300
Elizabeth Price, Director
Professors: Lepore, Miller, Shields
Associate Professors: Joyce, Price (director), Studd
Term Assistant Professors: d’Amboise, Reedy
Adjunct Faculty: Clancy, Cronmiller, Goodson, Haynes, Lee, Mattingly, Nuamah, Summerall, Urgelles
The BA degree is a 120-credit general program of dance study within a liberal arts degree framework. Entrance to the program is by audition. Information about the audition process, including dates and audition application, can be found on the school web page, dance.gmu.edu, or by calling the dance office at 703-993-1114. Admission to the university is determined by the Admissions Office.
The School of Dance offers all course work designated DANC in the Courses chapter of this catalog.
The university requires all students to complete at least one course designated “writing intensive” in their major at the 300-level or above. Students in the BFA and BA in dance fulfill this requirement by successfully completing DANC 390 or 391.
Please see College of Visual and Performing Arts for college academic policies.
Certification to Teach
This program is approved by the Virginia State Department of Education and administered through the College of Education and Human Development, which is accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). To be considered for licensure in dance education, a student must successfully complete requirements for a BA or BFA in dance. In addition, students must meet the following requirements:
- Be formally accepted into the program by the Dance Education Committee. Before requesting an interview with the committee, students must complete 45 to 60 credits with a GPA of 2.80 or higher, and submit passing scores for the Praxis I tests (Reading, Writing, Mathematics). It is strongly recommended that students take the Praxis I tests as soon as they have completed ENGH 302, a course in literature, and a course in mathematics.
- Earn no grade lower than a C in dance (see major curriculum) and in professional education courses (EDUC 300, 302; EDRD 300; DANC 453, 454).
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.80 or higher in all dance course work at Mason and at all other institutions of higher learning combined.
- As dance elective options, complete DANC 118 World Dance, DANC 453 Teaching Creative Movement, and DANC 131 Beginning Jazz Technique or 231 Intermediate Jazz Technique.
- With committee approval, register for and complete EDUC 300 and 302 and EDRD 300.
- After completing all required course work and with committee approval, submit passing scores on the VLCA and complete a full-time 15-week student teaching internship (DANC 455) that includes experiences at both elementary and middle or secondary levels.
This course of study will require a postbaccalaureate semester.