Mason Was Made To Make It Better
Mason's identity was forged in 1972 on Virginia's strong ideals of academic excellence and service. Today, that spirit energizes the university as a leader in scholarship and research; preparing graduates to meet the complex needs of a rapidly changing world.
Statistics Help Tell the Bigger Truth About the University
Mason Brings Opportunity
- Mason is the largest public research university in the Commonwealth of Virginia with 39,150 students from all 50 states and 130 countries.
- Mason’s six-year graduation rate is well above the national average, with no disparity based on ethnicity or economic status.
- Mason is home to more than 60 international and multicultural organizations.
- Nearly 2,800 of Mason’s incoming students in fall 2022 were transfer students, including more than 700 students in Mason’s award winning ADVANCE transfer pathway program with Northern Virginia Community College.
- 24% of Mason undergraduate students are first generation; 29% are eligible for federal need-based Pell Grants, which is greater than the state average.
Mason Bring Impact
- 86% of Mason’s 2021 bachelor’s degree graduates are employed in Virginia, Maryland, or Washington, D.C.
- Mason produces more tech graduates than any other four-year institution in Virginia. Almost 40% of Mason students major in STEM fields.
- In a survey of the graduating class of 2021, 58% said they had an internship, clinical, or research position during their time at Mason.
- Mason is conveniently located within a few hours of all the major economic and cultural centers on the East Coast of the United States. We host 500+ employers through recruitment networking events, Career Fairs, and the On-Campus Interviewing Program.
- Mason graduates most often go into the industries of consulting/finance, government/military, technology, healthcare, or education.
- Mason graduates earn among the highest starting salaries of graduates from Virginia public universities.
Mason Brings Action
- Mason is a nationally ranked R1 research university. Total research expenditures for FY22 were $178 million, a 12.4% increase over FY21.
- The university is expanding Mason Square in Arlington to create a place where students, faculty, entrepreneurs, and tech powerhouses can come together to learn, develop, and grow together.
- Cutting-edge research conducted at Mason has led to groundbreaking advancements in cancer detection, treatment of Lyme disease, concussion protocols, and COVID-19 early detection.
- The National Science Foundation ranks Mason 10th among U.S. public universities in research growth over the past decade.
- Mason offers 132 degree programs at the master’s, doctoral, and professional level, and more than 100 graduate-level certificates.
- Our students gain experience through research, fieldwork, internships, service learning, study-abroad programs, and alternative spring breaks.
Mason Brings Spirit
- Mason is home to 34 club sports with more than 800 participants every year. There are also 25 intramural activities with more than 2,800 participants.
- Mason has more than 230,000 square feet of indoor athletics facility space available free to students, along with faculty and staff memberships.
- George Mason University is one of just four Division I schools in the nation to boast a perfect 100 on the Athlete Ally's Athletic Equality Index and a perfect 5 on the Campus Pride Index.
- Major League Cricket (MLC) and Mason are working together to study the feasibility of a new multi-purpose cricket and baseball facility to host MLC matches, Mason games, and other regional events.