At Mason, we hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards as educators, scholars, students and professionals.
Our core beliefs lie at the heart of our organization, and they are what we hold in common to drive our collective decisions as an institution. They inform our core values, shape our vision, and catalyze our mission.
- We believe in inclusivity over exclusivity.
- We believe in advancing our mission by being willing to take risks, not avoiding them.
- We believe our best work is only possible when we apply our diversity of origin, identity, circumstance, and thought.
- We believe talent is equally distributed among people, but opportunity is not. At Mason, education is opportunity’s great equalizer.
- We believe we grow wiser and stronger from examining our full truths, no matter how complicated, messy, or discomforting they might be.
- We believe we are strong enough to work, live, and study together, even when we disagree.
- We believe no problem is unsolvable.
The pressures we face today may be different from the past, but our core values remain the same and continue to guide our actions.
OUR STUDENTS COME FIRST—Our top priority is to provide students with a transformational learning experience that helps them grow as individuals, scholars, and professionals.
INNOVATION IS OUR TRADITION—We strive to find new and better ways to deliver on our mission while honoring time-tested academic values.
WE ARE CAREFUL STEWARDS—We manage the economic and natural resources entrusted to us responsibly and sustainably.
WE THRIVE TOGETHER—We nurture a positive and collaborative community that contributes to the well-being and success of every member.
DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH—We include and embrace a multitude of people and ideas in everything we do and respect differences.
WE HONOR FREEDOM OF THOUGHT AND EXPRESSION—We protect the freedom of all members of our community to seek truth and express their views.
WE ACT WITH INTEGRITY—We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards as educators, scholars, students, and professionals.