Financial aid eligibility is based on several criteria. The following factors can impact a student’s aid package:


  • Degree Status
    Students must be enrolled at Mason in a degree or eligible certificate program to receive financial aid through the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA).
  • Enrollment Status
    Students must be enrolled at least half-time for federal loans and the majority of grant funds. Grant funds may be reduced if enrolled less than full-time. Students are responsible for ensuring the courses they are enrolled in are applicable to their program of study. Enrolling in courses that do not apply to a student’s degree program may result in ineligibility of financial aid funds.

Enrollment Status Definitions

Undergraduate Students

Credit Hours Enrollment Status
12 or more Full-time
9 - 11 Three-quarter time
6 - 8 Half-time
1 - 5 Less than half-time

Graduate Students

Credit Hours Enrollment Status
9 or more Full-time
6 - 8 Three-quarter time
4.5 - 5.5 Half-time
4.4 or less Less than half-time

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students must make satisfactory academic progress in order to maintain eligibility for financial aid. Please view our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy for more information.


A student must be a US citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen to receive financial aid. Please view the Citizenship Guidelines for more information. For information about DACA, please view our Undocumented/DACA students page.

Repeat Courses

For federal aid (not state aid or institutional aid), if you have taken a course twice, and passed it at least once, you cannot take a course a third time and get federal aid for it. This may affect the amount of federal grants (Pell and SEOG) or federal loans (Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized, Perkins OR PLUS – Parent – Loans) in your aid award. This is a federal regulation which George Mason has to follow. Please note that a grade of “D” is considered a passing grade. If you took a course twice and withdrew from it both times, or took a course twice and received an “F” in it, (or you got an “F” once and withdrew once) you can still get aid for a third try since you have never PASSED the course. The rule only applies when a student has taken a course twice, and PASSED it at least once.